Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service was created in 1824 under the leadership of James Braidwood, who later founded London Fire Brigade. Thus, it is the oldest municipal fire service in the entire UK.
The service is the local authority fire and rescue service of Lothian and Borders, Scotland that covers 6,500 kilometers square with a population of 890,000. There are 35 stations the service has which are strategically installed all over the areas of 5 Councils, namely, the City of Edinburgh, West Lothian, East Lothian, Midlothian and the Scottish Borders.
The service has currently 19 retained stations, 9 fulltime stations, 3 daytime stations –wholetime cover on weekdays and retained cover at night and weekends, 3 wholetime and retained stations and 1 wholetime and daytime station.
In West Lothian, there are 3 stations crewed by retained firefighters and these arein Broxburn, Linlithgow and West Calder; 1 wholetime and retained station in Bathgate; 1 wholetime and Day Shift Duty System (DSDS) station in Livingston; and 1 DSDS station in Whitburn.
Edinburgh, on the other hand, has 7 wholetime stations in Tollcross, Marionvillem Crewe Roll, Newcraighall, Sighthill, McDonald Road and Liberton; and 1 retained station in South Queensferry.
Midlothian has 1 fulltime station in Dalkeith, and 1 DSDS station in Penicuik.
Whereas East Lothian has 1 fulltime station in Musselburgh and 5 retained stations in Tranent, Haddington, North Berwick, Dunbar, and East Linton.
And the Scottish Borders has 2 fulltime and retained stations in Galashiels and hawick; 1 DSDS station in Duns, and 10 retained stations in Eyemouth, West Linton, Lauder, Coldstream, Peebles, Innerleithen, Kelso, Selkirk, Jedburgh and Newcastleton.
The main station is in Edinburgh and is headed by Chief Fire Officer Jimmy Campbell. Currently, there 1294 employees of the service.